Label Cloud

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Book Beginnings

Now here is some good news to get this blog started in the new year:

According to a new National Endowment for the Arts study, reading among American adults is up for the first time since 1982.

DID YOU HEAR WHAT I SAID? READING IS UP!

This is fantastic news for writers and lovers of literature.

And check this out:

Young adults show the most rapid increases in literary reading. Since 2002, 18-24 year olds have seen the biggest increase (nine percent) in literary reading, and the most rapid rate of increase (21 percent). This jump reversed a 20 percent rate of decline in the 2002 survey, the steepest rate of decline since the NEA survey began.

You can read more about the study here.

I am thrilled, and I hope you are too. Here's to a great, positive new year!

3 comments:

Nev said...

I am thrilled!!

I'm gonna go watch TV now. :-)

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! There's actually hope for us! Someone might read what we write. Hugs for everyone. Gold stars all around!

stu said...

I'd like to think that it's entirely due to the presence of so many wonderful blogs devoted to books.

Hey, I said I'd like to believe it, not that I did.