Label Cloud

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Age of the Digital Camera

A friend of mine recently added me to his flickr account so that I could see pictures of his wedding, which I was unable to attend. The wedding pictures weren't uploaded yet so I flipped through the pages of his older photos. He is an accomplished digital photographer, with an eye for intricate detail. Mostly, he takes close-ups of everyday items, finding the beauty that most people would not notice. A large percentage of his photographs are frankly, stunning.

After the fourth page though, I felt like I was drowning in photos. The digital age has ushered in a time period where ease has overcome editing. Sometimes even a nice looking photo is not a good photograph. Of course, I'm not talking about the pictures of your mom and her cat which might be worth saving for posterity. I'm talking about pictures that you've taken with an artistic vision in mind. Let's face it - they don't all say something. Some say nothing, capture nothing, and mean nothing.

I know his flickr account might just be a place where he dumps photos, but I would be thrilled to see him organize them.

Sometimes you have to pull the weeds to see your garden grow.

No comments: