Label Cloud

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Do You NaNo?

On your marks... get set... GO! NaNoWriMo has begun!

It's November 1st, and that marks the beginning of National Novel Writing Month.

The ten year history of NaNoWriMo actually began in July of 1999 when 21 friends in the San Francisco Bay Area challenged each other to write a novel (50,000 words) in one month. The goal was not to write something of quality, but to focus on the quantity. Complete an entire novel in just one month!

Now settled in November, NaNoWriMo attracts many participants who spend every spare moment of the month working on their novel. Participants track their progress on the NaNoWriMo website and share frustrations and words of support with fellow writers.

Focusing on completing a novel in such a short period of time is a great exercise as a writer. It teaches you to push through blocks, and to minimize bad habits such as the tendency to edit as you go. Sometimes you just have to spit out that first draft, then see what you have to work with. Too many times, writers get tripped up on their way and lose all momentum. NaNoWriMo is all momentum. Just let your fingers and imaginations fly.

So what do you say? Anyone out there working on a November NaNoWriMo novel?

6 comments:

stu said...

I'm not, but that's only because I'm in more of a rewriting phase. Mabye I should think of it as NaNoReMo instead.

Sven said...

If by "novel" you mean "watching TV" then I am well on my way to finishing quite the epic tale.

however if by "novel" you meant "novel" then I am considerably not as far along...

Anonymous said...

I am championing "National Think About Writing Your Novel Month." It's not nearly as rewarding, but allows you to be all blustery and intellectual like.

Stephanie said...

Stu, I like your permutation and fully support it!

As for you Sven and Randika, I find you both guilty of procrastination, and you are sentenced to spend the month of November sending me funny youtube videos. Get started!

Prince Gomolvilas said...

I can't even READ a novel in one month.

Last Knight said...

Oh, hullo. I'm sorry, I was working on my novel... I'd love to stay and chat, but I think I should get back to it...