Label Cloud

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Are You Excited? Cause I'm Excited!

Normally, I find myself disappointed with screen adaptations of books. I think I can count on one hand adaptations that I've actually liked independently of the original written material (Holes, A Room With a View.) And in the reverse, the list of adaptations that I've hated, films that have killed the rich material that they are intending to bring to life, is significantly longer.

Occasionally though, something takes me by surprise and just works in a way that I wasn't expecting. It's been my pleasure to enjoy the Harry Potter movies in concert with the books over the last few years, but for me, only Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was entertaining in a way that a complete movie should, and was better even than the reading of the book itself.

Or perhaps it was simply my childlike awe and giddiness over the magical dueling that the filmmakers exploded off the page and onto the screen that has me desperate for more.

Whatever the reason for my admiration, let it be known that I can't wait for NOVEMBER!

4 comments:

Sven said...

Yay!

Nev said...

I had no clue you were a Harry Potter lover!! I randomly picked up the first book in 2001 while visiting my sister in Boston, and I couldn't put it down. I've been hooked ever since. :-) The trailer for Half Blood Prince looks awesome and I can't wait!!

Movie-wise: I felt the one movie where the film was better than the book was "Chamber of Secrets." The ending of the movie, IMO, was far more entertaining and exciting than the book. It just worked for me, for some reason. Movies 3 and 4, while awesome, lacked a bit for me when compared to the book.

But I agree with you that The Order of the Phoenix was a great movie adaptation. That was the first time we really got to see Gary Oldman portray Sirius Black for a real length of time, and he did it brilliantly!!

Unknown said...

that trailer is awesome!! can't wait.

Andi said...

We are on the same page! I can't wait for this next movie installment, and I agree about the Order of the Phoenix movie. I thought it was a much more successful movie than book. The book made me snore a little!